History of the church
First United Methodist Church in Winnsboro was founded in 1808. Capt. John Buchanan, a Revolutionary War veteran, and a group of friends under the leadership of Rev. James Jenkins built a small chapel on the site of the present Methodist cemetery. This was the first church built in Winnsboro, and the first brick Methodist church in the state. When it deteriorated, it was replaced in 1874 by a simple clapboard structure. In 1908 the site of the church was moved to the corner of N. Congress and W. College streets where the present sanctuary was constructed. The real church, however, is not made up of bricks and mortar, but the committed people who seek to live out our motto: Seek God. Love all people. Change the world.